Sunday, July 26, 2009

Colors in God’s World: Coat of Many Colors

Colors in God’s World: Coat of Many Colors
“Now, Israel loved Joseph more than any other of his children because he was the son of his old age, so Israel made Joseph a long robe with sleeve.” Genesis 37:3
Call to Worship
(Sung to “The Bear Went over the Mountain”)
Let’s worship God, let’s worship God, let’s worship God,
With joyful hearts, with joyful hearts, with joyful hearts,
Let’s worship God with joyful hearts!

Joys and Concerns
Have the children share a few joys and concerns they have and follow with a prayer thanking God for our joys and asking God to be with us in our concerns.

Sharing
Ask: What is the color of your favorite jacket or coat? (Red, purple, etc.)
Listening:
Use a male puppet.
Say: Hi everybody! Don’t you just love my coat made with so many colors? (Pause encouraging the children to answer.) Do you have coats as beautiful as mine? (Pause encouraging the children to answer.) My dad gave me mine. I am a character from the Bible. My name is Joseph. I have lots of brothers. My dad loves me the most. That’s why he bought me this beautiful coat of many colors. Do you think it’s fair for my dad to give me a beautiful coat because he loves me best? (Pause encouraging the children to answer.) Well it made my brothers very mad. They were so jealous. In fact they were so jealous that they ripped off my beautiful coat and threw me into a pit. Do you think that was very nice? (Pause encouraging the children to answer.)
Well that is how my story started. I don’t have to time to tell you everything but I ended up bringing peace to my entire family. Is it god to bring peace to your family? (Pause encouraging the children to answer.)
Today I want to you to remember something happy about my coat, My beautiful coat of many colors reminds us that God gave us wonderful colors. When we wear these colors we are celebrating the colors of God’s world. Now you are going to get to color and design your very own coat of many colors!
Exploring
Pass out the coat papers and the crayons. Let the children design their own coat of many colors.
Benediction
Say: Loving God, Thank you for all of the beautiful colors in your world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment