Sunday, July 26, 2009

Colors in God’s World: Green Pastures

Colors in God’s World
“He makes me lie down in green pastures.” Psalm 23:2

Call to Worship
(Sung to “The Bear Went over the Mountain”)
Let’s worship God, let’s worship God, let’s worship God,
With joyful hearts, with joyful hearts, with joyful hearts,
Let’s worship God with joyful hearts!

Joys and Concerns
Have the children share a few joys and concerns they have and follow with a prayer thanking God for our joys and asking God to be with us in our concerns.

Sharing
Ask: Can you name something green in God’s world? (Leaves, grass, herbs, etc.)

Listening
Plan on ending the story by leading the children outside to a green pasture, aka the playground area.
Say: There is a Psalm in the Bible that speaks of the color green. Listen carefully as I read to you the 23rd Psalm.
1The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
3 he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
for his name’s sake.

4Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff—
they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.
Ask: Does anyone remember the line that mentions the color green? (He makes me lie down in green pastures.)

Say: This Psalm is told through the eyes of a shepherd. A shepherd must find green pastures. The sheep need fresh, green grass for grazing. The green grass makes the sheep happy. For us, this verse helps us understand that God will take is to green places too. Green places are the good things in life, such as food and friends, rest and play, homes and happy times. Let’s pretend we are shepherds leading our flock to a green pasture.

As you walk around outside point out pretend streams, shady trees, and dangerous rocky ledges. Keep a lookout for sheep straying from the flock and wolves lurking in the distance. Wave to the other shepherds. When you reach the green pasture invite the children to lie down a relax a few minutes.

Benediction
Say: Loving God, Thank you for all of the beautiful colors in your world. Amen.
More Exploring
Have each child color a green pasture with any details they wish to add, rocks, sheep, wolves, etc, and then tape them out side of the classroom with the words “He makes me lie down in green pastures.”

No comments:

Post a Comment